Thursday, May 31, 2012

GI Joe: Retaliation 3-Packs - Quick Thoughts

I also came across the two 3-packs of "Ninja" figures today. Just a quick rundown on thoughts for each character. 


Ninja Showdown Set
  • Storm Shadow - I am so tired of this guy. Yeah, he's cool. Blah, blah, blah. The Renegades version is the best Storm Shadow out there right now. But this is a pretty decent figure. I don't know how movie accurate he is, but not too bad - for a ninja in white. Excellent articulation!
  • Red Ninja - Straight up reuse of single pack red ninja and Renegades Storm Shadow mold. Molded in black and red. Nice!
  • Snake Eyes - Absolute Bad Ass! Almost as good as POC Snake Eyes. Almost. He really looks like a nod to version 23 of Snake Eyes. I really like Snake Eyes and he is so overused and I do grow weary of all the different versions, but this one rocks. I don't give a rat's ass about the wave 1 single pack.
Ninja Dojo Set
  • Kamakura - I really don't know know what to think about this figure. Just a weird looking ninja. I wouldn't have bought him on a single card. Not impressed.
  • Beach Head - So when did he become a ninja? Who cares? Damn fine figure. POC Snake Eyes body w POC Beach Head's... head. Works great together. New web gear that looks great. Just a little too light in the color palette of his uniform, but still the gem of this set.
  • Roadblock - Okay, Hasbro? Can you use the same colored plastic for the skin of the same character across the line? Please? Basically the same exact mold as the single pack except that he doesn't have the goofy thing molded in his hand. A lighter skin tone with a barely visible goatee and black tiger stripe camo on skin. And a loose fitting head. C'mon, man! I switched the hands with my single pack Rock, err... Roadblock. Much better!
No vehicles. The only vehicle that impresses me right now is the Ninja Combat Cruiser - or whatever the hell it is called. It's an update to the POC Vamp - a damn fine vehicle. And I'll need a couple of these updated Vamp's. But it looks like I'll have to wait until it is movie time next March. Not released with the other wave 1 stuff. Dammit.


Next week, I'll post pictures and more thoughts. Stay tuned!

No comments: