Monday, July 15, 2013

Eaglehawk thoughts

This thing is so cool!

As a kid, I grew up with models. I built 1/72nd scale military vehicles, the legendary Prehistoric Scenes models (yes, I'm that old!), and various other film and fantasy models. Planet of the Apes, Star Trek, Star Wars, Space 1999, Battlestar Galactica, the Black Hole, all sorts of stuff.

I think that's one of the reasons that I really liked the vehicles from the original small GI Joe line - you had to assemble a good chunk of the toy. Plus you got to put the stickers on yourself, according to the directions or on your own. 

I don't know what has happened lately. Toys come largely put together. Hell, models are a damn disgrace because they are usually pre-painted snap-fit kits. Not much skill involved there. Okay, yeah, not much skill in putting together the Eaglehawk either, but it's a toy, where models are supposed to involve some work to put them together.



I'm thrilled by the Eagelhawk and am really glad Hasbro added Tomahawk to the stickers rather than its new name. Good job, Hasbro! The construction was simple and fun; an easy build. The stickers weren't too bad. Not like the madness of the stickers for the new SkyStriker!



The new version of Lift Ticket is great, very much like a traditionally military uniform. The Airborne figure from the Tactical Ninja 3-pack with Mouse has the same body, so you can use him as a co-pilot. I've got Flint's head on there for now, mainly because the first movie figure of Flint is a wreck based on the body style that was used for him.



The new Tomahawk closely matches the vintage Tomahawk in size and details. The interior is very different with the new one. Stationary seats, lots of foot pegs. I don't get it on the foot pegs on the floor of the cabin. No one can stand up in it. With no restraints, it's tough to get figures stable in the cabin.

With the taller size of the new figures, the small size of the new Tomahawk is very noticeable. It just looks a bit too small.



Ultimately, I don't care. I think it's a damn fine update and am so glad to have it in my collection. Will I ever buy another? I don't really expect to. The SkyStriker showed up at Ross in limited numbers at a discount. I don't really like the idea of GI Joe toys headed back to Ross, especially with such a small retail/public presence. "Deth of teh line" and all that crap. 

If it shows up at Ross/Marshall's/TJ Maxx and I can get another? Yeah, I'll do it. An olive drab custom would rock!

1 comment:

Dr Syn said...

I remember seeing those Aurora model kits, that Tyrannosaurs box photo is burned into my brain, a decade later in the model section of the best Toy Store (literally a Warehouse) in Auckland.

It's the place I got my 1st G.I Joe toys from, a B.A.T and the Tomahawk (after my older brother who would be around your age said I should get that instead of the Havok, he go the Conquest X-30 as well as B.A.T). They had every Joe vehicle that year lined up on the Flagg on display... I've loved G.I Joe ever since.

I'm very glad I imported the Eaglehawk, I did my part.