Wednesday, June 7, 2023

Well, I'm back for now...

As semi promised, I am returning to this odd, basically useless collection of rambling nonsense. As mentioned in my previous post from almost a year ago, I've become mildly obsessed with 1/12th scale figures. Three properties currently hold my interest - GI Joe (of course), Marvel Legends, and Star Wars Black Series.

My primary thought about collecting these assorted figures is that I am not a completist and only buy what I'm interested in and am trying not to get trapped in the FOMO mentality.

HasLab has just recently started their next crowd funded project - a 1/12th scale Dragonfly attack helicopter. It's going to be over 2 1/2 feet long and it looks spectacular. I'm at a point in my life where finances aren't an issue and if I want it, I can get it.

But do I really want it? So I'm 60 years old now. I live in a much smaller, paid-off house and my wife and I are content with the space that we have and the current progression of our lives. Retirment for her may only be a couple years away, while I could stick it out as an engineering teacher for at least 4-5 more years. It's a fun job and while my health is still decent, why not? 

Back to the helicopter... it's just so big. What would I really do with it besides have it displayed somewhere in our modest home. I feel pretty confident that I'll pass on it. Now if HasLab had done a 1/12 scaled version of the POC VAMP, then I would have been all over it! So much cool potential with that particular design!

Enough about my personal life stuff for now. Let's look at a few of the 1/12th action figures that I've acquired quite a few.

Let's start with a few Marvel Legends figures!

First up is the Agent Ross figure from, I think, a Black Panther collection. Seriously, who wouldn't want a Martin Freeman action figure? He's got an excellent smirk on his face as well! Basically a plain figure that could be a pain in the ass to the GI Joe team. 
Next up is Agent Mobius from the first Loki series. A simple basic figure, made even more awesome because it's a figure of Owen Wilson! "Wow..." 
Next up is J. Jonah Jameson as portrayed in the latest Spider-Man movies by J.K. Simmons. Again, why would anyone not want to add a J.K. Simmons figure to their collection?
Next up is Moon Knight, because I would have never expected to see a live-action version of Moon Knight. I had the comics of Werewolf By Night where he was first introduced! I would have never imagined that Moon Night had become this popular.
I sent a picture of the figure in the box to my best friend from all the way back to 8th grade and texted him in December 2022 that I "needed" to buy this figure. He replied that I could "blame him" for making me buy the figure. Things changed quickly and this figure means a little bit more to me now.

My friend, Alan, and I had grown up together with a love of comics and science fiction. We've known each other for around 47 years. There were times when, through the course of our own lives, we drifted apart, but whenever we reconnected, it was like nothing had changed. We watched the first and last Star Wars movies together. He was truly my best friend.

Was? Yeah, in January of 2023, Alan took his own life. He had been suffering from severe depression and it finally reached a point where he felt that he had nothing else to give. I miss him dearly and will weep for him for many years to come.
So why am I wrapping up with the Adam Warlock figure from Guardians of the Galaxy 3? Well, here's another character that I was quite surprised to see him come to life in the MCU. Both Alan and I absolutely devoured nearly everything comic related to Adam Warlock back in the 80-s -90's. If there had been a way to introduce Him much earlier, it would have been amazing to see Warlock go up against Thanos.

I bought Adam Warlock, not just because I dig the character, but also because Alan dug the character. I haven't actually seen GoG3 yet, but I would imagine that it will be heading to Disney+ pretty soon. I can wait...

I'm looking forward to seeing how Warlock is being introduced. I hope he becomes an integral part of the MCU moving forward. He needs to be!

On a personal note... if you are struggling with issues of depression, low self esteem, feelings of self-loathing, or other mental health issues, don't try to face it alone. Talk to people, talk to family, talk to friends. 
Don't think that the world would be better off without you, because it won't be.

See you again soon!

No comments: