Friday, June 16, 2023

The Most Recent GI Joe Classified Figures

My two most recent purchases from the GI Joe Classified line have been Cover Girl and Falcon. They've both had their share of minor controversy across the GI Joe fandom. Let's take a look at Falcon first.

Falcon is one of my favorite GI Joe characters from the entire roster of characters. Easily a Top 5 pick! My opinion is largely based on the original figure and his file card. Not his GI Joe: The Movie appearance or his appearances in the DiC cartoons. I don't really recall seeing him that much throughout the original GI Joe comics.

In my own personal weird GI Joe world, Falcon is in no way related to Duke. That whole scenario was another of the many dumb elements of the animated movie. No thanks.

The biggest issue that most fans seem to have with this figure is that he's a bit... ugly. He doesn't have that clean, ruggedly handsome look of his animated counterpart, nor is he the bland, generally featureless face of the original figure.

Wow... a bunch of balding, overweight, out-of-shape, middle-aged men complaining about Falcon being ugly. That's hilarious! Although, I will have to admit that Falcon is a bit...not so attractive. So what? Big deal! I think that he's got some character to his face. My biggest issue with this version of Falcon is that his lips are just a bit too pink. Maybe he borrowed some of Cover Girl's colored lip balm?

Speaking of Cover Girl, let's take a look at the Classified version (OMG!!! Hasbro is going to make a Classified scaled Wolverine!!! **fan boi freak out). To be honest, I'll have to go to an obscure Monty Python bit in regards to the original figure. 

"Now that's my wife."    "A bit ugly, though, sir."    "What do you mean... ugly?"    "You know... not attractive to men, sir." Yeah, Hasbro tried back then to give Cover Girl some fashion model looks, but it didn't work out so well back in 1983. Decent enough for the time.

Many fans seemed to think that this new version of Cover Girl was also a bit ugly. Again, from the middle aged "hunks".

I think that she turned out quite well and is a well sculpted figure. Her face is very well done and is quite lovely.

Both Falcon and Cover Girl are well done figures, but I think CG turned out better than Falcon. Just my opinion.

No comments: