Saturday, August 1, 2009

40 years in the making...

I've been a G.I. Joe fan for a long time. I have no idea when this picture was taken, but I'm guessing that I was around 7 or 8, sometime around 1969-70. I'm the one on the left, by the way. That's my cousin, Randy, behind the G.I. Joe building.

My cousin lived in Massachusetts and his mom used to go to the Hasbro company store and buy him the coolest G.I. Joe stuff. He always had some awesome stuff. I wonder if he still does?

I played with Joe for many years after that, but as I got older, my Joe toys were very worn out and wound up in the trash. My poor yellow AT helicopter was probably more glue than plastic before it was finally "retired."

Years went by, the Real American Heroes line came out in 1982 and the infection was full on. From then on, I've been collecting G.I. Joe pretty regularly. Big guys and small guys.

And now, here I am, seven days away from the release of "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra." G.I. Joe finally makes it to the big screen.

It looks like it's going to be a helluva' lot of fun and I'm sure I'll have a big goofy smile on my face during the entire movie.


Watching "The Mummy" tonight on TV, only because it was directed by Stephen Sommers and he's directing "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra" and there will probably be movie trailers. And there were trailers - looks great!

No comments: