Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The WHALE Restoration Project

Part Two!

The project has been slowly moving along. Just squeezing in a few minutes here and there. I made one attempt to patch the vertical fins from the rotors with thin pieces of plastic, but the Gorilla Glue didn't bond to either of the plastics!

Here's a shot of the interior of the cockpit. This thing was full of dust and dirt. I wound up just taking the whole thing to the kitchen sink and just washing it all out. Works for me!


Shipwreck stands in the cleaned out crew compartment, ready to get the WHALE back on the high seas!

Almost there! I've been repainting a few bits and pieces that I "customized" with a black Sharpie marker many years ago. Sharpie markers were a great customizing tool way back then! I've painted the ends of the cannons and the machine guns, and the fan blades. I've also just used a healthy spot of Super Glue on the broken vertical fins. I glued one side, let it dry and cure for a couple days, then on to the other side. Looks like it will hold. It won't be able to hold up to much rough handling, but this is a display piece now.

Getting close to being finished - stay tuned!

No comments: